Halfway through


We are halfway through the story and JK Rowling certainly didn't disappoint me. She writes so fluently. It's like I am a part of the story and see everything happening in front of my very own eyes. She creates tension like no one else. I just want to keep reading and I can't seem to put the book down!

We are introduced to Sirius Black, a powerful follower of Voldemort who killed 13 muggles and one wizard in broad daylight. He was sentenced to Azkaban, where he would slowly lose his mind. Or so we thought. Black was the first person ever to escape Azkaban. Everyone is worried for Harry's safety, as they should. Now that he has escaped he will come after Harry. Everyone is trying to keep him safe, but we know our favorite hero. He always manages to get himself into trouble. After blowing up his aunt Marge, he is forced to stay at Diagon Alley by the minister of magic himself. 

I have to say that I already love the character of Sirius. I am the person that always likes the villain more than the main protagonist. When I found out that Sirius was the one who betrayed Harry's parents, I was so intrigued! What were his motivations? Why did he betray them? What drove him to his actions? I want to know!

We also get to know another new character: Remus Lupin. He already seems like a fatherfigure for Harry and I am honestly so happy for him. Harry has already lost so much. Lupin is also one of the few teachers that are actually decent people. I know I can expect a great character development, knowing JK Rowling. If he somehow turns out to be the bad guy, I will be really pissed. But then again I really like bad guys. I don't know why but they're really appealing. Probably because they don't play by anyone's rules but their own. 

Harry, Ron and Hermione are taking divination this year. Personally I think that JK Rowling is using these prophecies as a way to foreshadow what's to come. There are so many things going on in my head at the moment. What is going to happen with them? I don't know and I really want to find out! I am enjoying reading this book so much! JK Rowling has a very unique style of writing and I absolutely love it. Personally I like that she also puts funny scenes in the book. There isn't always mortal danger to worry about and it's fun to also be reading through some lighthearted scenes. I was rolling over in my bed with tears coming out of my eyes when I read the scene where aunt Marge was blown up by Harry. It was so hilarious! I don't think that I will ever be able to get that image out of my head.

I would say that this book is my favourite so far. I love the jokes in it and all the symbolism. I also love that I can look everywhere for clues as to what is about to happen! I look so forward to reading the entire story.

Lots of love,

Charlotte

 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Charlotte!

    I also got halfway through the book and I absolutely love it! Like you said, the way JK Rowling can describe the ambiance in a scene is remarkable. Because of that it's really easy to use your imagination to see the moment unfold right in front of your eyes.

    It's funny that you like villains more than the hero. I have the same vision about villains. I think they are often more interesting because they aren't limited by a moral compass wich makes them unpredictable. In this case with Sirius Black he is an intriguing character. He allegedley betrayed James and Lily Potter what lead to them getting killed by Voldemort. What where his motives? What was in it for him? Did he do it on purpose? Does he want to kill Harry or scare him? This is what makes Sirius such an interesting person because you don't know his intentions.

    I agree that Remus Lupin is a great character and rolemodel for Harry. I hope he is a teacher that can keep the position of Defense against the Dark Arts teacher. It's already the third year in a row that harry has another teacher for that subject. Altough he is a great guy, there is something off. I can't put my finger on it but Lupin seems to know more about Sirius Black than we first thought. I think Lupin won't be a villain but maybe he is there to protect Harry from Black?

    As you can see the book still has me guessing of how it is going to end. The first two books were easier to decypher and you had an idea of what the end would be. But at the moment I haven't got the slightest clue. What I think will happen is that Harry will learn more about Peter Pettigrew and why Black killed him and also it is inevitable that Harry and Sirius will meet one another at some point near the end.

    I also want to talk about a wholesome scene that caught my attention. Like I said in my last post I really like friendships in stories and how they develop. The scene I'm talking about when the students are about to go to Hogsmeade and they have to hand in their admission form to go to the town. Harry tries to convince McGonagall to allow him to go without having the autograph of the Dursleys. She denies him access to the town but Harry clearly sees that it hurts her to say no to him. She obviously knows how vicious the Dursleys are and you can just feel the sort of 'love' McGonagall feels for Harry. This moment show that Harry isn't just another student for McGonagall.

    Anyway I'm going to read the other half of the book because I just want to know how it ends so I can read the next book in the series.

    Greetings
    Yannick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Yannick and Charlotte,

    What a real pageturner. Charlotte, girl, I feel you. I can't put it down either. Last night I had an argument with my mother because I was reading my book and I hadn't payed attention to anything she was saying. So I didn't hear her asking me to watch my sister, who's a todler. She spilled her milk all over the floor and made a piece of art... Yeah, my mother wasn't too happy with that.

    On the other hand the book is really getting on my nerves. I want to know what is going to happen next, and the temptation is very big to just skip everything and start reading the very last chapter of the book! But don't worry I didn't, I don't want to ruin the magic.. (See that little joke I made.. Haha)

    The story really intrigued me so far. It's like it's really asking for my attention. And that's a good thing. Because, although I really love to read there aren't that many books that do this to me. By that I mean keep me awake, making me wanting to know what's going to happen next.

    Just like you, Yannick, I absolutely ADORE the bond between McGonagall and Harry. She's such a warm and loveable person. She cares so much for him, and absolutely not like she cares for any other student. I wish there would be a series of books that tells the story from different perspectives; Like Hermoine's and Ron's obviously. But also from Dumbledore's, McGonagall's, Snape's, Malfoy's and Voldemort's perspectives. That would be amazing.

    Now, I have spoken. I'm going to read on because I want to know what's going to happen next.

    Love,
    Maaike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi friends!

    Oh eM Gee, the suspense!!! I completely understand what you are talking about, I just cannot put the book down. Bram is pushing me to read even faster, he wants us to watch the movie tonight.

    I really loved the scene where Harry blows up aunt Marge, I was laughing so loud. I could envision her floating in the air like the big animal balloons you can buy at the zoo. But what I really admired here, is that Harry stood up for himself. Don’t forget, he is merely 13 years old, and has been bullied around all this time by his relatives. It doesn’t mean that you are just a teenager, that you have to accept it if you are treated wrongfully. So kudo’s to Harry!

    I’ve read this article the other day, how funny books can be, not by the jokes, but how they are written. It made me reflect on this book and it changed my view on how I analysed it for this assignment.
    For instance, the conductor of the knight bus, Stan, you can just see him in front of your eyes, and you can hear every single word he says. The way J.K.Rowling puts down his character in this book, is very remarkable, he is not just words, but a real living person. I do believe he is one of the most extraordinary characters I’ve ever read this far.

    There were many scenes in the book so far, that made me think about what will happen. Sirius Black escaping, follower of Voldemort, turns out to be Harry’s godfather. No doubt about it these two will meet soon in the story.
    I also have a hunch that Snape’s assignment on werewolves will have it’s use later on in the book. Just as the practice on the Boggart, who takes the shape of the thing you fear the most. I do understand Harry wasn’t allowed to practice, I suspected Voldemort to have appeared in class then. But it turns out he is scared the most of the dementors, since they’ve fed on him before. I think the dementors will attack Harry again at some point.
    I am thrilled about the Marauder’s map; it helps Harry get into Hogsmeade after all. I am sure this map will help plan lots of mischief, but will also help thye friends in their darkest quests to come.

    So excited to continue reading!

    Love,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment