Chapter one
Harry Potter. Who doesn't know who he is nowadays? Born of the imagination of J.K.Rowling, loved by many worldwide.
I have read this book a few times, but it has been over 15 years since the last time, and never have I read it in English before. I wonder if I can feel the same suspense as I did back in the days and if I will understand a little wordplay in English. I don't remember a thing about the story though.
Harry is a very peculiar boy, small and skinny for his age, and has a scar on his forehead, a souvenir of the attack by Lord Voldemort killing his parents when he was just a baby. He has come face to face with him at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where he had spent most his time for the past two years. It is there where he has met his two best friends, Ron and Hermione.
As always, the book starts during summer holiday, where Harry lives with The Dursley's at number 4, Privet Drive. Magic is forbidden and shall not be spoken of. He dreads the idea of being locked in the cupboard under the stairs for the rest of summer, so he will hide under his quill to work on his school assignments. Since magic and therefore owls who bring letters are forbidden, he will spend the rest of summer very lonely. He needs to find a way for the Dursley's to sign his permission slip to visit Hogsmeade while he's at school.
In the night of his 13th birthday, three owls arrive, bearing gifts and his first ever birthday card. He got a Pocket Sneakoscope, a miniature glass spinning top that will light up and spin when someone untrustworthy is around. Hermione got him a Broomstick Serving Kit so he can serve his own broomstick with which he plays Quidditch. And last, Hagrid, the Hogwarts gamekeeper, sent him a biting book, The Monster Book of Monsters, with a note it would come in useful next year.
Only one chapter down the book and J.K.Rowling has already planted so many plots in my head. I guess Harry will meet Voldemort again this year at school and he will have an other near death encounter. I suppose the sneakoscope will be used on several occasions and that Hagrid will teach the 3 friends about dangerous mythical creatures. Of course at least one of those biting monsters will escape or some sort. I am pretty sure Harry won't have permission to go to Hogsmeade with his friends, but he will find a way to sneak out of school.
I think J.K.Rowling is ready to take us on an other marvelous adventure of friendship, trust and loyalty. I can't wait to read the rest of the book!
Love,
Jenny
Hi Jenny!
ReplyDeleteJust like you I have also started reading the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. The first time I read the books was when I was 12. I was very excited to start reading them again so I just thought, why not? Only this time I wanted to make it more difficult for myself as I am reading them in English instead of Dutch.
Harry Potter has always been a kind of obsession for me. I have a Harry Potter themed pyjama, a sweater and many more stuff that only Potterheads will find just as cool as me. Luckily there is a whole section dedicated to Harry Potter in Primark.
My interest however has died down a bit last year, but this year it came around again. We have tiktok to thank for that. There are so many fun videos about our favourite trio. There are videos where people have put themselves into the story, videos that make fun of Snape, videos where people expose their crushes and many more. You should really check that out! It's really entertaining and it made me decide to read the books again.
I think our golden trio is going to have a ton of adventures in this story. I feel that the sneakoscope is a subtile way of foreshadowing that Harry is going to be in mortal danger. But were we really expecting something else? I really hope that Harry isn't going to lose anyone this year. He has already lost so much.
I am excited to meet the new Defence against the Dark Arts teacher. Hopefully this one will stick around, but this is Hogwarts we are talking about so you never know. I really hope he isn't going to put Harry, Ron and Hermione in danger. They have enough trouble staying out of it without an incompetent teacher.
I also think that the vacation Ron and his family went on, will play an important role in the story. Maybe his brother Charlie has find out a deep, dark secret? Or knows a way to destroy Voldemort? Maybe Ron got possessed by a mummy? I am dying to know!
We can only speculate as to what is going to happen next. I am dying to know what trouble Harry, Ron and Hermione will get up to now. Knowing them it's going to spectacular.
I can't wait to find out what's going to happen next!
Lots of love,
Charlotte
Hello Jenny and Charlotte!
ReplyDeleteUnlike the two of you I have never read the Harry Potter books. I did start watching the movies when I was around seven years old. As a kid with an endless imagination, Harry Potter was on the TV from 9 AM until I went to bed to dream about me being a wizard.
I finally started reading the books because I wanted to see what the big difference is between the movies and the books. Some people told me the books are better and other people told me the complete opposite. It’s about time to find out for myself I’d say.
I just finished the first chapter of the book and I’m already curious to how the complete story will unfold. I already know what’s going to happen but I’m really curious how JK Rowling will tell the story in a way the movies couldn’t.
Just like you guys I want to make my bold prediction of how the book will go on. Like jenny said I think the sneakoscope will play a role in unmasking an uninvited guest that wants to hurt Harry and his friends. I also hope that Harry will find a way to get to Hogsmeade without getting caught, maybe the invisibilty cloak?
Another thing I really hope we get to see is how the relationship between the big three will further develop. The friendship between Harry, Ron and Hermione is something I really enjoy because it warms my heart how you can see that family isn’t necessarily your own blood.
Okay now I’m going to read a few more chapters because I can’t wait to reach the end!
Greetings
Yannick
Hello Jenny, Charlotte and Yannick,
ReplyDeleteI’m happy I can share this experience with you. I was very excited when we decided we were going to read a Harry Potter book. Around the age of 5 years my mom and I watched the first movie. I’ve been in love with everything that has to do with Harry Potter ever since. Recently I watched one of the movies with my boyfriend, and I’m lucky to be alive! I know the movies by heart, I can say every line exactly the way they do in the movies and I was teasing my boyfriend with it. Result? I have to watch them alone from now on!
As for the books, I love the way J. K. Rowling plays with her reader’s minds. She gives such a detailed description about a scene, but just enough to let the magic of our imagination do it’s job. She’s a very talented writer and I love her other books as well.
I wish I could make a little prediction about how the story would evolve, but like I said, I know Harry Potter by heart. I’ve already read the story multiples times, but it never bores me. The writing is so fluend that it’s very accessible for everyone.
Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban is really one of my favorites. The first chapter gives me drive and an urge to read the next chapter. It’s like you get torn into the story, and you can’t let go untill you know what’s going on. There’s a lot of things going on and I love how Rowling puts it into words.
If I wouldn’t have read the book before, I would be really excited to read the next chapters. The first time I read the book I was, just like you Yannick, excited to know how the friendship between the Big Three would envolve. I love the dynamic between the three of them, they keep each other in balance, but at the other hand their characters lift each otcher up.
Now, I’m going to continue reading and I’m going to pass my book on to my little sister who just saw the first movie!
Greetings,
Maaike